Treats are a powerful way to bond, train, reward, get attention, or stimulate your cat’s appetite, mainly if you use them to top their diet. For whichever purpose you are using them, consider going for always go for freeze-dried raw cat treats instead of the ordinary canned (wet) or dry kibbles.
Benefits of freeze-dried cat treats
Freeze-drying refers to freezing and dehydrating foods in a frozen state under vacuum. The dehydration occurs by direct vaporization of ice formed during freezing directly to vapor (sublimation) at low temperatures.
You need to go for freeze-dried raw cat treats because they bring most of the benefits of raw or frozen cat diets without the handling issues, and need for refrigeration. Some of their benefits include:
- Since it occurs under low temperature in the frozen state, freeze-drying retains most of the nutrients present in raw ingredients as well as natural enzymes. Your kitties will get superior nutrition compared to ordinary treats.
- They retain all flavor, aroma freshness, taste, and appearance, making them very appealing and tasty even for fussy eaters.
- Most manufacturers use grass-fed meats, cage-free poultry, or wild-caught fish that don’t have hormones or antibiotics.
- They are pure without any artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, fillers, grains, gluten, animal by-product meals, or any other fillers.
Best freeze-dried raw cat treats reviews
Have you decide to give freeze-dried cat treats a chance, here are the top brands in the market with their benefits, ingredients, the average price per oz., guaranteed analysis, and much more. We also have an insight into selecting the best brands afterward.
1. PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-dried Raw Cat Treats – Best Freeze-dried Chicken Cat Treats
These PureBites Chicken Breasts are very delicious and nutritious 100% pure chicken breasts with nothing else. Their taste and aroma will make your cat go wild and crazy.
- Contain a single ingredient, i.e., made with 100% all-natural pure human-grade chicken breast without any preservatives or additives.
- Protein-rich, low fat, and low calorie making them suitable for training or as everyday treats.
- Suitable for overweight, diabetic, cats on restricted diets or those with gastrointestinal issues and allergies
- Sourced and made in the USA
- Ingredients: 100% human grade chicken breast
- Calorie content: 3709 kcal/kg or about 2 calories per treat.
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 74%, crude fats (min): 3%, crude fiber: 1%, moisture (max): 5.0%.
- Average price: $3.26 per oz.
Rivaling these delicious chicken breasts are the Halo Liv-a-Littles Grain-Free 100% Chicken Breast Freeze-dried Dog & Cat Treats that come in a jar retailing at $4.54 per oz., followed by Whole Life Just One Ingredient Pure Chicken Breast Freeze-dried Dog & Cat Treats going for $3.49 per oz.
2. Halo Liv-a-Littles Grain-Free 100% Wild Salmon Freeze-dried Dog & Cat Treats – Best Freeze-dried Salmon
If you have both dogs and cats, these Halo Liv-a-Littles Wild Salmon bites are a great way to put a smile on their faces with this great reward while offering them superior nutrition. You don’t have to buy different ones for your dog and cat. Crumble it to their food or give them as a whole.
- Made with 100% whole pure wild-caught salmon sourced sustainably. Halo Pets doesn’t buy their ingredients from animals raised with genetically modified feeds, antibiotics, or in confinements.
- No meat meals, by-products or any other additive
- Highly digestive, protein, and nutrient-rich treats.
- Packaged in a jar to ensure they remain fresh and for easy portability.
- Made in the USA
- It is costly
- Ingredients: salmon
- Calorie content: 3,352 kcal/kg or about 5.6 calories per treat.
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 77.0%, crude fats (min): 4.0%, crude fiber: 1.0%, moisture (max): 6.0%.
- Average price: $6.19-$6.69 per oz.
A more affordable alternative Halo suitable for both cats and dogs is the LIFE ESSENTIALS BY CAT-MAN-DOO All Natural Freeze-dried Wild Alaskan Salmon, which goes for only $ 3.8 per ounce.
3. Vital Essentials Minnows Freeze-dried Cat Treats- Best Freeze-dried Minnows Treats for cats
Minnows are flavorful and nutrient-rich much love dog cat treats that will support overall health and vitality. These pets love them so much, thanks to their savory aroma. Use them as traveling, training, or rewards.
- A whole single ingredient treat, i.e., made from wild-harvested fresh, raw minnows without antibiotics or hormones.
- Grain-free, gluten-free, and guilt-free
- Don’t have any added rendered products, colors, or fillers.
- 100% sourced, made, and packed in the USA.
- Ingredients: Minnows
- Calorie content: 2892 kcal/kg or 82 kcal/oz.
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 60.0%, crude fats (min): 5.0%, crude fiber: 3.0%, moisture (max): 8.0%.
- Average price: $10.99-$14.40 per oz.
While very popular, and much loved, these minnows are expensive. If cutting on their cost is an important consideration, go for the PureBites Freeze-dried Minnow Cat Treats that are equally of top quality but retailing for only $3.20 per ounce.
Note that Raw Paws Pet Freeze-dried Minnows for Dogs & Cats are also very expensive average at $10.00 per ounce.
Finally, in addition to minnows, Vita Essential also have chicken hearts, chicken giblets, chicken breast, Ahi Tuna, Rabbit Bites, Duck liver, Wild Alaskan Salmon Freeze-dried Raw Cat treats
4. PureBites Shrimp Freeze-dried Treats for Cats
When it comes to cat and dog treats, PureBites is a powerhouse that has reasonable prices, superior quality treats. Just open a bag of these PureBites Shrimp, and your cat will be begging you for a bite. These pets love their taste and aroma.
- Made with a single ingredient, 100% pure wild-caught human-grade shrimp sourced from the oceans without any other additive. Shrimps are nutritious and high in protein
- Suitable for diabetic or felines on restricted diets as well as those with other health issues such as being overweight, having allergies, or GI disorders.
- Ideal for training or everyday treating since each treat has about a calorie.
- Made and packaged in the USA
- Ingredients: 100% Pure Wild-Caught
- Calorie content: 3,139 kcal/kg and averagely 1 kcal/treat
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 78%, crude fats (min): 2%, crude fiber: 1%, moisture (max): 5%.
- Average price: $ 6.96 per oz.
5. Orijen Original Freeze-dried Cat Treats
All cat breeds and life stages can this mouthwatering and nutrient-dense Orijen Original Freeze-dried Cat Treats made with 100% raw free-run poultry, poultry organs, and wild-caught monkfish.
- Biologically appropriate and offers variety, i.e., it has wholesome free-run poultry and their organs (chicken, turkey their liver and hearts) and wild-caught monkfish rich in protein and other nutrients.
- Grain-free and free of any other additive
- Poultry comes from trusted farms.
- Made at Orijen’s DogStar Kitchen, in Kentucky, USA.
- Ingredients: Raw chicken (30%), raw turkey (30%), raw chicken liver (8%), raw chicken heart (8%), raw turkey liver (8%), raw turkey heart (8%), raw monkfish (3.9%), raw chicken gizzard (2%), raw turkey gizzard (2%).
- Calorie content: 5255 kcal/kg or 1 kcal per treat of calculated Metabolizable Energy (ME).
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 45%, crude fats (min): 35%, crude fiber: 1%, crude ash: 5%, moisture (max): 2%.
- Average price: $5.59 per oz.
Do you need variety? Orijen have six fish, regional red, grass-fed lamb, and wild-roaming boar or Tundra freeze-dried cat foods.
6. Zesty Paws Freeze-dried Raw Salmon Fillet Treats for Dogs and Cats
Your four-legged, furry friends will enjoy and love these mouthwatering Zesty Paws Freeze-dried Raw Salmon Fillet Treats. Just crumble them on their food as a topper or give them as a whole treat (break them for cats and smaller dog breeds).
- Single-ingredient treats made with sustainably harvested raw wild Pacific sockeye salmon fillet.
- Very nutritious – it’s high in protein and other nutrients, including omega-fatty acids that will support a healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Doesn’t have artificial flavorings or preservatives
- Made in the USA with only natural ingredients.
- Ingredient: Wild Pacific Sockeye Salmon
- Calorie content: 5000 kcal per kg or 5 kcal per treat.
- Guaranteed Analysis per treat (1g): Crude protein (min): 63.71%, crude fats (min): 33.43%, crude fiber (min): 0.41%, moisture (max): 3.83%, total omega-6 fatty acids (min): 3mg, total omega-3 fatty acids (min): 22 mg, EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) (min): 7mg, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) (min): 12mg.
- Average price: $4.31 per oz.
To make a saving, consider going for the Whole Life Just One Ingredient Pure Salmon Fillet Freeze-dried Dog & Cat Treats with the same great taste and nutrients but at a lower cost of $ 3.75 per oz.
7. Life Essentials by Cat-Man-Doo All Natural Freeze-dried Chicken for Dogs & Cats
These freeze-dried all-white chicken breast strips make nourishing treats for cats and dogs that even the finickiest of them all will find irresistible. You can use it as an ordinary treat, rehydrate it, or crumble it on your pet’s food to enhance their appetite.
- Made with only one ingredient, all-natural, raw-all white Human Grade FDA inspected chicken breast slices or strips that are nutritious and low in fats.
- Doesn’t have grains, chemicals, preservatives or any other additives.
- Made in the USA.
- Unlike other brands that use raw ingredients, this brand is first cooked as a way of killing bacteria before freeze-drying them. Cooking will degrade its nutritional quality.
- Ingredient: pure white meat chicken
- Calorie content: 70 kcal per oz.
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 80%, crude fats (min): 3%, crude fiber: 1%, moisture (max): 4%.
- Average price: $3.21 per oz.
8. Fresh Is Best Freeze-dried Whole Chicken Necks
Cat and dogs will enjoy the rich raw chicken flavor of these delightful gently freeze-dried whole chicken necks, which you can serve without or after rehydration them with lukewarm (never hot) water.
- They have one ingredient, i.e., human-grade 100% chicken neck without hormones or antibiotics. Chicken is a great source of protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin (supports joints function) and other nutrients.
- Will offer recreation chewing chance as well as help in cleaning your pet’s teeth.
- Made and sourced in the USA.
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- Chicken necks may be challenging for cats to eat.
- Ingredients: 100% USA chicken necks
- Calorie content: Calculated ME of 851 kcal/kg or approximately 142 Kcal per neck.
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 60%, crude fats (min): 5%, crude fiber: 4%, moisture (max): 9%.
- Average price: $4.28 per oz.
Besides chicken necks, Fresh Is Best also have freeze-dried chicken hearts, chicken giblets, and chicken breast tenders, all made to perfection.
9. PureBites Beef Liver Freeze-dried Raw Cat Treats – Entry size
If your kitty loves beef liver, PureBites has a tasty brand locked with all the goodness and freshness of raw liver that cats find hard to resist.
- One ingredient formulation, which is 100% Pure Made Human-Grade Beef Liver sourced in the USA that is nutrient and protein-rich.
- Highly digestible
- Idea for diabetic or overweight as well as cats with gastrointestinal disorders, allergies or on restricted diet.
- Made in the USA without any additives or preservatives.
- Ingredients: 100% pure made human-grade beef liver sourced from the USA
- Calorie content: 3,613 kcal/kg or about 3 kcal per treat
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min): 64%, crude fats (min): 5%, crude fiber: 1%, moisture (max): 5%.
- Average price: $2.69 per oz.
Besides chicken breast shrimp and beef liver, PureBites has Freeze-dried ocean medley, pacific salmon, duck liver, Pacific Ocean whitefish, turkey, tuna, beef, chicken breast with catnip, chicken breast and lamb liver, as well as chicken breast and duck liver treats for cats.
10. Primal Turkey Liver Munchies Freeze-dried Dog & Cat Treats
These Primal Turkey Liver Munchies are superior quality and flavorsome training or everyday crunchy snacks ideal for both felines and canines.
- Has only a single protein source humanely raised and ethically pure turkey liver without hormones or antibiotics.
- Doesn’t have synthetic vitamins, grains, gluten or preservatives
- No added salt or sugar
- Ingredients: Turkey liver
- Calorie content: 130 per oz.
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min): 76%, crude fats (min): 11%, crude fiber: 1%, moisture (max): 7%.
- Average price: $4 per oz.
Other great brands
Besides the turkey liver, Primal freeze-dried raw beef liver and pork liver are an excellent way to bring variety to your dogs and cats.
- American Journey 100% Chicken Freeze-dried Grain-Free Cat Treat
- Grandma Lucy’s Freeze-dried Singles Ocean White Fish Dog & Cat Treats
- Small Batch Freeze-dried Natural Heart Treats – (Turkey)
- WildSide Salmon Cat Treats
Also, Simply Nourish 100% Whitefish Grain-Free, UBite Raw Bits Wild Pacific Cod, PureVita Minnows, SO Bright Chicken Breast, and Dr. Harvey’s Whisker Smackers Beef freeze-dried treats, among others, will be good choices.
Feeding treats to your felines
All brands come with feeding instructions on their package. However, as a rule of thumb, ensure ALL TREATS SHOULD ACCOUNT FOR NO MORE THAN 10% OF YOUR CAT’S DAILY CALORIE INTAKE. Always check their calorie content.
Also, note that TREATS ARE FOR INTERMITTENT OR SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING. Don’t replace your cat’s typical COMPLETE AND BALANCED diets with these snacks, even if your cat seems to go crazy with them.
When feeding, break large ones to smaller pieces, especially if you have smaller cat breeds to make eating easier. You may rehydrate or serve them while as crunchy snacks.
Choosing the best freeze-dried cat treats guide
We have given you the best freeze-dried feline treats in the market with some suitable for dogs too. However, for one or other reason, should you want to try different brands that we didn’t review, here is what to look for in these brands:
- Look at the product label for essential pieces of information such as ingredients, calorie content, guaranteed analysis, expiry date, and so on.
- Select brands that use humanely raised, grass-fed, cage-free, or wild-caught raw meat sources without hormones or antibiotics.
- Ditch those with grains, animal by-product meals, added sugar, fillers, artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors. These treats don’t need to have all these ingredients. Also, avoid those poorly packaged.
- Give preference for those made and sauced in countries with strong pet food manufacturing and quality control regulations like New Zealand, US, Canada, Australia, and Western European nations.
- Different manufacturers offer different prices. Compare the prices of various brands to see who offers the best prices. Also, check their prices on multiple stores such as Chewy, Amazon, PetSmart, and Walmart, and so on to see who has the best deal. For instance, Chewy is known to offer free shipping for orders above $49.