Marshmallows are spongy confectionaries made from water, sugar, gelatin, and sometimes lemon juice. Some recipes use eggs instead of gelatin or both. This mixture is whipped for consistent molded to small cylindrical shapes. Afterward, it may be coated with corn starch (corn syrup).
Gelatin is obtained from “boiling skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones with water. It is usually obtained from cows or pigs,” notes PETA and it can be used in not only marshmallows but also other in candies, ice cream, yogurts, cakes, and as well as for puddings and fruit gelatins.
The main sources of protein in marshmallows is eggs or gelatin. The US law considers them as foods of minimal nutritional value.
Can cats have marshmallows?
No cats should not be allowed to have marshmallows. While they do not have any toxic ingredient, they are not healthy for your kittens or cats because of the following reasons:
1. They have lots of sugar
As Orphan Kitten Rescue notes, although “sugar isn’t toxic to cats, it can cause obesity and potentially diabetes (as is the case with humans, too). It could also take a toll on a cat’s dental health.” Note that kitties should not be given any sugary foods.
2. They can present a choking hazard
Children under the age of 3 years are not allowed to have marshmallows due to the possibility of them causing a choking hazard as they can get stuck in their throat. This can also happen to your kitties.
3. They are highly calorific
On average one marshmallow has about 23 calories. Allowing your feline pal to have these confectionaries often may lead to weight gain and feline obesity.
4. Have little or no nutritive value
Felines are obligate carnivore whose main source of energy is proteins, moderate amounts of fats and very little carbs. Therefore, felines require only a small amount of carbohydrates. On the contrary, these confectionaries have a small amount of protein a reason why the US law considers regards them as foods of minimal nutritive value.
While they are not toxic or poisonous, you should not give them to your kitties. A small bite or a lick will not harm them. However, avoid those with coated with chocolate as it is poisonous to kitties.
While we do not recommend them, do not forget that some cats love them and given a chance, they may eat a lot of them. Always, keep them out of your cat’s reach.