Dog treats are lip-smacking training or everyday rewards that will bring delight and happiness to your dog. They will help in training your dog, breaking boredom (keep your pooch busy), provide wholesome nutrition, offer mental stimulation (your dog by hiding them in puzzle toys) and so on.
Some have functional ingredients that may help keep oral and dental hygiene, aid in digestion, have a calming effect, promote hip and joint health in senior dogs,
Many varieties of canine treats exist, including raw, freeze-dried, crunchy biscuits, or semi-moist brands. They come in various shapes, sizes, including sticks, twists, strips, bars, cubes, nuggets, and so on.
Why freeze-dried dog treats?
Raw, frozen dog treats are the best and most nutritionally complete with all minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, enzymes, proteins, and other nutrients intact. However, they do present some challenges. For instance, they require refrigeration (are perishable), harboring pathogens (germs) like Salmonella, E. coli, Listeria, campylobacter, Yersinia, Clostridium perfringens, and so on.
Also, some people find handling them a big hassle. These issues leave freeze-dried the best alternative. More and more people are turning to not only freeze-dried treats but also freeze-dried dog foods. Why?
Freeze-dying is a food preservation method that involves rapid freezing followed by vaporization of the formed ice under a vacuum and low pressure. The process gets rid of over 95% of the moisture, making it impossible for microbial activity to occur. Some benefits include:
- Since the process happens in frozen states and manufacturers use raw or minimally processed ingredients, the resultant treats retain most of their nutrients, natural enzymes, taste, flavor, aroma, shape, and appearance.
- Most, if not all, freeze-dried dog treat manufacturers use humanely raised, grass-fed, cage-free, or wild-caught animals. Also, most have meats and organs predominantly with a few having fruits and vegetables and other healthy, wholesome ingredients.
- They are grain-free, gluten-free, and don’t have antibiotics, hormones, artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors.
- They have a longer shelf-life and don’t need refrigeration. Just ensure your treats are in a moisture tight packaging to avoid moisture absorption.
- Finally, some brands have a single ingredient, i.e., meat or organs like beef, chicken, duck, lamb, turkey, venison, bison heart, lungs, hearts, neck, head, or rabbit ears, pig snout, and so on. Such brands may benefit canines that suffer from food sensitivities.
Best freeze-dried treats fogs with reviews
It is a fact that freeze-dried treats for dogs are the most convenient and are super healthy to the extent of closely matching raw or frozen ones. You need to switch to them today.
If you need freeze-dried treats for dogs, you will get hundreds of brands and varieties at your local pet store or online pet stores like PetSmart, Petco, Amazon, Chewy, Walmart, and so on. Compare prices, buy in bulk, look at offers or those that offer free shipping to make a saving.
Choose brands that use wholesome brands from humane-raise, grass-fed, cage-free, or wild-caught protein sources. Also, they should have limited ingredients, no hormones or antibiotics and well packaged,
Avoid those that may damage your dog’s teeth, resulting in blockages if swallowed, have junk or fillers, added sugar, salt, rendered animal by-products, artificial preservatives, or anything unhealthy or harmful.
Don’t forget to give priority to those made in the US, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, or any other country with strict manufacturing and quality control guidelines.
If you need some of the best freeze-dried dog treats and rewards, some of the best brands include the following:
1. Stewart Pro-Treat Freeze Dried Beef Liver Dog Treats
If you want the top-rated and undoubtedly best freeze-dried treats, look no further than Steward-Pro Beef Liver. Your dogs will go crazy about them, and they will deliver unmatched nutrition, ensuring your pet remains vibrant and healthy.
- Made with natural USDA grade non-GMO beef liver, a single healthy ingredient rich in lean protein, and vitamins.
- Don’t have grains, soy, gluten, artificial colors, flavor, or any other additives.
- They serve well as training treats or diet toppers.
- Good for digestive health, and it doesn’t have any genetically engineered ingredients.
- Suitable for food sensitivity or allergies if not caused by beef or those on a limited ingredient diet.
- Picky eaters will find them irresistible.
- Well packaged in a resealable tub to ensure they remain fresh for an extended duration and don’t absorb moisture.
- Available in 14 quantities from 1.5 Oz. to 21 Oz.
- Ingredients: 100% pure beef liver
- Calorie content: They have a calculated calorie value of 5898 ME (Metabolizable Energy) Kcal/Kg or 6 Kcal per gram or 167 Kcal per ounce
- Guaranteed Analysis: Protein (min): 50%, Fat (min): 5%, Fiber (max): 3%, moisture (max): 7.5%
Besides the beef liver, other Freeze-Dried Pro-Treats, your dog, will enjoy from Steward Pet are Cheddar Cheese, Chicken Liver, Lamb Liver, and Turkey Liver,
2. PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
These freeze-dried raw dog treats are nutritious, delectable, and filled with freshness, aroma, and texture of the raw chicken breast. Your pets will fight for more bites each their sweet smell is in the air.
- They have only one ingredient, i.e., 100% pure human-grade chicken breast sourced from the USA, which is protein-rich and low in fats.
- Easy to digest and nutrient-rich to support your Fido’s health and happiness.
- Don’t have added preservatives.
- Perfect for dogs on restricted diets, overweight, diabetic, suffering from gastrointestinal disorders, allergies, or any other health issue.
- Ingredients: 100% human grade chicken breast
- Calorie content: They have a calculated calorie value of 3709 kcal ME per kg.
- Guaranteed analysis: Crude protein (min): 74%, crude fat (min): 3%, crude fiber (max): 1%, moisture (max): 5%
3. Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats – Chicken Hearts
Each bite of these tasty, nutrient-packed chicken hearts is another bite of happiness and joy. Just open another pack without guilt and watch them go wild.
- Single-ingredient treats, i.e., made from hormone and antibiotic-free, single, whole pure raw, freeze-dried chicken hearts from farm-raised chicken.
- They support oral, digestive and overall health
- Guilt-free, gluten-free, grain-free, and don’t have added fillers, grains, rendered by-products, flavors, or any other artificial ingredients.
- They are sourced, manufactured and packaged in the USA
- Ingredients: Chicken hearts.
- Calorie content: 3788 kcal/kg or 161 kcal/cup
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 65%, crude fat (min): 5%, crude fiber (max): 3%, moisture (max): 8%
Besides chicken hearts, Vital Essentials also have Freeze Dried Beef Nibs, Beef Liver, Beef Tripe, Bully Sticks, Chicken Breast, Duck Nibs, Lamb, Minnows, Rabbit Bites, Rabbit Ears, Turkey Fries and Turkey Giblets
Others are VE RAW Bar Freeze Dried Salmon skins, turkey necks, pig snouts, pig ears, duck necks, Moo Sticks, Duck hearts, Cod Skins, Chicken Necks, Bully Sticks, Bully Twists, and Duck Heats.
4. Stella & Chewy’s Carnivore Crunch Grass-Fed Beef Recipe Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
Stella and Chewy’s Carnivore Crunch Raw Freeze-Dried Beef dog treat is a low calorie, nutrient-rich, and tasty everyday training reward that your dog will love.
- Made with 98% raw, grass-fed beef, organs, and ground bones free of hormones or antibiotics together with pumpkin and fenugreek seeds.
- Low calories with each nugget about 2.6 calories, making it an ideal everyday reward or for training.
- Doesn’t have gluten, grains, potato, added antibiotics, hormones, fillers, artificial preservatives or flavors
- First ingredients: Beef, beef liver, beef kidney, beef heart, beef tripe, beef bone, pumpkin seed, fenugreek seed, tocopherols (preservative).
- Calorie content: 5018 kcal/kg or 2.6 kcal/nugget
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 44.0%, crude fat (min): 30.0%, crude fiber (max): 1.0%, moisture (max): 5.0%
Besides the Beef recipe, you can also buy Raw Cage-Free Turkey, Chicken, and Duck Recipes.
5. Orijen Freeze-Dried Dog Treats Tundra
Orijen Freeze-Dried Dog Treats Tundra is a delightful, nutrient, and protein-dense choice with all flavor, aroma, and goodness that will leave your dogs with a happy smile. Unlike most other treats, Tundra will provide a combined benefit from regional meats, poultry, and fish that will satisfy your dog’s natural and biological needs.
- Brings variety since it has goat meat, wild boar, ranch-raised venison, grass-fed lamb, wild-caught mackerel, and free-run duck all in one pack.
- Made with fresh, 100% all-natural meats in the ideal ratio of meat, organs, and cartilage that mimics whole prey nutrition.
- Doesn’t have any artificial preservatives
- Ideal for dogs of all life stages
- Ingredients: raw goat (10%), raw venison (10%), raw wild boar (10%), raw duck (10%), raw lamb (10%), raw lamb liver (10%), raw mackerel (9.9%), raw wild boar liver (8%), raw goat liver (6%), raw venison liver (6%), raw goat kidney (2%), raw goat tripe (2%), raw venison kidney (2%), raw venison tripe (2%), raw wild boar kidney (2%)
- Calorie content: 5260 kcal/kg or 5 kcal per nugget.
- Guaranteed analysis: crude protein (min): 40%, crude fats (min): 35%, crude fiber (max): 1%, moisture (max): 2%, crude ash (max): 9%.
Besides the Tundra, you can also go for the Freeze-Dried original, regional red, six fish, free-run duck, grass-fed lamb, ranch-raised beef, or wild roaming boar.
6. Chewmasters Beef Liver Bites Freeze-Dried Dog Treats Bag
Made to perfection, the all-natural Chewmasters Beef Liver Bites are a great addition to your treats or rewards. Your puppies, small or large dogs, will find them fresh tasting and very yummy.
- Have a single ingredient, i.e., 100% Pure Beef Liver that has undergone USDA inspection. It is a good source of protein, nutrient-rich, but low in carbohydrates and fats.
- Highly digestible
- No grains, fillers, additives, gluten, soy, or wheat
- Comes in an upright standing resealable bag to ensure your rewards remain fresh for a longer time.
- Ingredients: 100% USDA Inspected Beef Liver
- Calorie content: Less than 8 kcal
- Guaranteed analysis: crude protein (min): 67.6%, crude fat (min): 10.6%, crude fiber (max): 0.1%, moisture (max): 6.0%, ash (max): 4.8%.
7. Sojos Freeze Dried-Raw Simply Turkey Dog Treats
These bite-sized real turkey freeze-dried dog treats are mouthwatering and locked with natural enzymes, minerals, and vitamins. Your pooch will find its flavor, aroma, taste, and texture irresistible.
- Uses a single protein source – turkey
- Low in calories, making them ideal for everyday training or rewards.
- No grains, no gluten, no fillers, no artificial flavors, preservative or colors or anything sourced from China.
- Ingredients: Turkey.
- Calorie content: 3695 kcal/kg or 2kcal per treat.
- Guaranteed analysis: crude protein (min): 70%, crude fat (min): 10 %, crude fiber (max): 1%, moisture (max): 8%
Besides, simply turkey treats, you can also go for the raw simply lamb, goat, salmon, or beef.
8. Halo Liv-A-Littles Freeze Dried Wild Salmon Protein Dog & Cat Treats
Halo Liv-A-Littles Freeze Dried Wild Salmon Protein holistic brand will give your dog a lip-smacking reward that is nutrient-rich. You can give them whole or crumble them to smaller pieces if you have smaller dogs or cats.
- Contain only a single protein source, a fresh freeze-dried raw salmon rich in nutrients including proteins, omega fatty acids, vitamins and minerals
- Made with quality ingredients without meat meals sourced from the US and other parts of the world where they are sustainably and humanely raised without the use of genetically modified feeds or antibiotics.
- Highly digestible and doesn’t have any additives.
- They come in a jar to keep them fresh and for easy portability.
- Ingredients: Salmon
- Calorie content: Calculated Metabolizable Energy (ME) of 3,352 kcal /kg; 5.6 kcal/treat
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 77.0%, crude fat (min): 4.0%, crude fiber (max): 1.0%, moisture (max): 6.0%
Besides wild salmon, you can also go for the Halo Liv-A-Littles chicken breast protein, Healthsome Garden of Vegan Peanut n’ Pumpkin, or Healthsome Garden of Vegan Sweet Potato, Carrot, Quinoa Recipe Cookie.
9. Stella & Chewy’s Lamb Wild Weenies Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
Do you want to see your dogs go wild? Give them all-natural, 100% freeze-dried raw Stella & Chewy’s Lamb Wild Weenies.
- Has 97% real lamb and organs without any hormones or antibiotics.
- Features a gluten free, grain free, and potato free formulation without any fillers.
- Most dogs love the unique texture.
- Ingredients: Lamb, lamb liver, sodium alginate, tocopherols (preservative)
- Calorie content: Calculated 4,917 kcal ME/kg or15 kcal/nugget.
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 44.0%, crude fat (min): 30.0%, crude fiber (max): 1.0%, moisture (max): 5.0%
Alternative recipes are Cage-free Chicken or Duck, Red Meat, Bac’n Me Crazy, Grass-Fed Beef, and Game Bird.
10. PureBites Beef Liver Raw Freeze-Dried Treats for Dogs
Yet another fantastic single ingredient dog treats from PureBites that will live your dog happy and tail wagging with excitement.
- It has only a single ingredient, 100% pure human-grade beef liver sourced from the US that is protein and nutrient-rich.
- 100% all-natural and highly digestible.
- Doesn’t have any preservatives,
- Dogs with underlying health issues such as those that are overweight, diabetic, suffer from allergies, on restricted diets, or gastrointestinal orders stand to benefit from the brand.
- Ingredients: Beef Liver.
- Calorie content: 3613 kcal/kg or about five calories per individual treat
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 64%, crude fat (min): 5%, crude fiber (max): 1 %, moisture (max): 5 %
PureBites also have freeze salmon, dried and cheese, New Zealand lamb treats, turkey breast, duck, cheddar cheese, ocean whitefish, and trail mix.
11. Pupford Freeze-Dried Chicken Training Treats
This Pupford is a low calorie, a nutritious small-sized treat for dogs of all ages made in and with materials sourced from the USA.
- Made with only chicken, which is easy to digest and nutrient-rich.
- It one of the lowest-calorie brands, making it the best for everyday treating or reward. You don’t have to worry about your Fido exceeding the maximum required calories from treats.
- Ingredients: chicken, mixed tocopherols (natural antioxidant)
- Calorie content: Less than 1 kcal per piece.
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 37%, crude fat (min): 15%, crude fiber (max): 1.5%, moisture (max): 8%
In addition to the chicken, Pupford also has liver, salmon, and sweet potato freeze-dried dog foods.
12. ACANA Duck & Pear Singles Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
Acana gently freeze-dried duck and pears treats are packed with nutrients from duck liver, duck, and pears that your Fido will find tempting and tantalizing.
- Made with nutrient-dense and biologically appropriate wholesome ingredients, i.e., free-run raised Muscovy duck meat and organ plus Bartlett Pear sourced from trusted regional farms, ranches, and waters.
- Features a limited ingredient formulation
- Grain-free, gluten-free formulation without potato or tapioca.
- Ingredients: Duck, pears, duck liver, mixed tocopherols (preservative).
- Calorie content: 5190 kcal ME/kg or 5 kcal per treat.
- Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min): 35%, crude fat (min): 35%, crude fiber (max): 6%, moisture (max): 2%
Besides Duck and Pear Treats, try the Lamb & Apples, Pork & Squash, Turkey and Greens as well as Beef and Pumpkin treats
More top rated freeze-dried dog treats
It will be virtually impossible to review all the top brands in the market. However, the below long list deserves recognition.
- Grandma Lucy’s Freeze-Dried Whitefish Pet Treat
- Raw Paws Freeze Dried Duck Necks for Dogs – All Natural Duck Dog Treats Made in the USA Only
- Whole Life Living Treats Digestive Pumpkin Blend Dog Treats
- Life Essentials Wild Alaskan Salmon Freeze-Dried Cat & Dog Treats
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free 100% Turkey Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats
- PureSnacks Beef Liver Freeze-Dried Treats for Dogs.
- Crumps’ Naturals Mini Trainers Freeze Dried Beef Liver
- Evanger’s Nothing but Natural Beef Lung Freeze-Dried Dog & Cat Treats
Besides the above, try Zesty Paws (chicken), K9 (Beef, Chicken, or Green Mussels), Bravo! (Venison Liver), Performatrin (Beef Liver), Simply Nourish (chicken), Fresh Is Best (chicken), PureSnacks (Beef Liver), Stella and Chewy’s (lamb liver). They will not let you down.
Feeding treats to your dogs
When feeding treats to your dogs, always ensure that the calories provided by ALL TREATS, SNACKS, OR REWARDS that your dog eats ARE LESS THAN 10% of their daily calorie requirement. Too many treats may cause weight gain, obesity, or nutritional deficiencies.