Reptiles, amphibians, and other pets require calcium for strong and healthy bones, including teeth as well as for other physiological functions like muscle functioning, nerve impulse transmission, heartbeat regulation, metabolism, among others.
A deficiency in this mineral will result in hypocalcemia (low blood calcium level) and other disease and conditions, including metabolic bone diseases. Hypocalcemia will cause muscle twitches, lethargy, and neurological symptoms in severe cases.
Phosphorus and oxalic acid in diets, vitamin D, the bioavailable amount in food, and so on will influence how much calcium these pets absorb. Phosphorus and oxalic acid bind with this mineral while in the stomach hence reduce bioavailability.
Vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol
As you have seen, calcium is quite vital for your pets. On the other hand, vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) helps in its absorption. Besides dietary sources, any pet that requires UV light to make cholecalciferol should get cholecalciferol supplements too.
Best calcium with or without vitamin D3 supplements for reptiles
We have seen the essence of supplementation with this mineral and cholecalciferol. If you need them, most of these supplements are available liquid, spray, or powdered forms.
Besides, some veterinarians may recommend liquid calcium gluconate absorbed quickly or bone meal as it is easy to know how much you have added.
Finally, you need to decide if you want those with or those without vitamin D3. You don’t have to buy those with it if your reptile or amphibian doesn’t require UV light or has enough UV light mainly from the sun.
The best calcium supplements (powders, liquids, and sprays) without or without vitamin D3 include the following:
1. Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 review
Made by Zoo Med, this brand is ideal reptiles and amphibians, and should you be your first choice if you have any of these pets that UVB light or cholecalciferol to assimilate calcium effectively.
- Has safe levels of cholecalciferol (D3)
- It contains highly bioavailable calcium carbonate, i.e., with a high surface per gram for maximum absorption.
- Has no phosphorus free
- It has no harmful impurities or oyster shell
- It is worth every penny you spend on it.
Composition: 38-43% ultra-fine precipitated calcium carbonate and 1% moisture, and 10,390 IU of vitamin D3.
2. Rep-Cal Phosphorous-Free Calcium with Vitamin D Ultrafine Powder
Maintaining the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio that should be above 1.5:1 or ideally 2:1 in captive pets is not easy since most of their diets, especially live feeder insects, have a higher amount of phosphorus.
Therefore, this calls for the supplementation to correct the Ca:P ratio. This Rep-Cal Phosphorous-Free supplement will do just that!
- Unlike the original formula, this product its grinding is so finely to ensure this mineral is optimally bioavailable, and it is easy to use.
- Scientists use 100% all-natural human-grade calcium carbonate from oyster shells that do not have any phosphorus in making it.
- It has a perfect vitamin D3 balance that will ensure better absorption of calcium if your pet requires it or UVB light.
- If you mixed with Rep-Cal Herptivite, you do not need any other supplement.
- It is worth the money you spend on it.
3. Fluker’s Repta Calcium with vitamin D3
Fluker’s Repta Calcium powder is a premium source of this mineral and cholecalciferol for indoor lizards, turtle, snakes, and frogs. It will ensure your pet’s bones are not only strong but also healthy and prevent metabolic bone disease, among other essential body functions.
It is affordable, well-rated by users, and quite efficient. These attributes and many others make it one of the must-have supplements.
4. Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3
This Zoo Med calcium without D3 for reptiles is ideal for pets that do not require cholecalciferol or UVB to effectively assimilate this vital mineral, i.e., those that can meet their vitamin D3 naturally.
Additionally, this supplement:
- It has a large surface area per gram (ultra-fine precipitation), making it efficient, highly bioavailable, and easy to use.
- It is made from oyster shell calcium and does not have any harmful contaminants.
- Has no phosphorus
- Will give you value for your money.
5. Exo Terra Reptile Calcium with vitamin D3
This brand comes in an ultra-fine powder made of calcium carbonate, vitamin D3 supplement, and oyster shell flour. It is ideal for reptiles and amphibians don’t get enough sunlight, UVB light or D3.
- Its ultra-fine formulation is efficient and easy to use.
- It is phosphorus-free
- It has a balanced amount of cholecalciferol that will ensure optimum calcium absorption
- Good value for money, considering its cost.
6. Zilla Calcium Supplement Reptile Food Spray
Made by Zilla, using this food spray is an excellent way of ensuring your pets get essential this mineral. You can give them by either spraying it on your pet’s food or giving them droplets directly into their mouth if they have a calcium deficiency.
It is ideal for your pet amphibians and reptiles, including your water dragons, bearded dragons, tegus, geckos, skinks, boas, monitors, corn snakes, pythons, green iguanas, king snakes, toads, hermit crabs, tortoise, and turtle.
- Its liquid spray-on formulation makes it easy to use. Just mist your pet’s food 15 seconds before giving them.
- It is readily absorbed and assimilated into the body and bones.
- Value for money
Note that some pets may require UVB light and vitamin D3 to absorb it effectively.
7. Fluker’s Calcium Without Vitamin D3 Supplement
If you have reptiles or amphibians that have adequate sunlight, a sufficient UVB light, or do not require cholecalciferol to absorb and assimilate calcium, this is the ideal supplement for you.
Besides supporting other body functions, this supplement that has powdered calcium carbonate will ensure your pets have strong, healthy bones as well as live longer.
It is easy to use, highly absorbable, and it will give you real value for each penny you spend on it.
8. Fluker Liquid Calcium Reptile Supplement
This concentrated liquid calcium supplement will support robust, healthy bones preventing instances of metabolic bone disease that cause pain, deformity, and even death.
It is easy you use. You need to add about 2.5 ml (half a teaspoon) to your pet’s drinking water bowls daily and add the same amount to their food thrice weekly.
Finally, besides strong, healthy bones, this mineral has other vital body functions, including supporting muscle function and nerve signaling.
9. Exo Terra Calcium Liquid Supplement
This Exo Terra calcium-magnesium liquid reptile and amphibians supplement contains 8% elemental calcium in the form of calcium chloride and lactate as well as 1% magnesium occurring as magnesium chloride. Unlike other supplements that you apply to their food, you should add it to their drinking water at a rate of 2 drops per 30ml.
- It has both calcium and magnesium, which regulate muscle contraction, production of hormones, and signaling of nerves.
- It has highly absorbable calcium, a mineral forms part of your pet’s bone matrix besides its many other vital roles.
- Magnesium stimulates calcitonin production. The calcitonin hormone will promote a healthy bone density.
- Its liquid formation promotes not only quick absorption but also assimilation.
10. Komodo Bearded Dragon Dusting Powder
While its name may suggest it is only suitable for bearded dragons, the reality is that this dusting powder is for any insectivorous reptiles and amphibians, including your water dragons, turtle, leopard geckos, chameleons, and so on.
This Komodo cricket dust supplement contains 99% pure calcium, and it easy to use. You need to dust it to your pet’s feeder insects.
Finally, only use for outdoor pets sufficiently exposed to the sun. If indoor, ensure recommended UVB lighting or use vitamin D3 to promote its absorption.
11. Rep-Cal Calcium – Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free
Most reptiles and amphibians living in captivity often suffer from calcium deficiency. Furthermore, most of their diets, especially feeder insects such as crickets, mealworms, pinky mouse or waxworms, are high in phosphorus and low in this mineral.
Giving your pets bone meal will not help much since it also has phosphorus. Therefore, one of the most effective ways to ensure correct calcium to phosphorus ratio is to use this phosphorus-free Rep-Cal supplement.
However, only buy it if your pets do not require vitamin D3 or UVB light to absorb this mineral or have enough UVB light or cholecalciferol supplement.
Best reptile multivitamins to buy
Besides proteins, fats, carbohydrates, these pets need other vitamins and minerals as they have various roles in their body. They include vitamin A, B-complex, C, D, E, and K as well as minerals like sodium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, iodine, selenium, magnesium, iron, and so on.
Since multivitamins for reptiles and amphibians have correctly balanced vitamins and minerals that your reptiles need, you need to ensure their diets have these minerals as well as supplement them where necessary.
Some of the best multivitamins to buy include the following:
1. Zoo Med ReptiVite with D3
The Zoo Med ReptiVite with D3 is a complete amino acid, vitamin, and mineral source for your reptiles. All you need to do is dust lightly on live foods, veggies, fruits, or turtle pastes. Do this 2-3 times a week.
- Since it is calcium based, it will correct Ca:P ratio to 2:1. It will promote healthy bones and shells.
- It is free of any fillers or artificial additives, including sucrose, soy, or yeast.
- It has vitamin D, which will optimize calcium absorption.
2. Rep-Cal Herptivite Beta Carotene Multivitamins
This brand is a well-balanced source of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that will ensure reptiles and amphibians have all the nutrients that some of their diets may lack. These deficiencies can cause ill-health symptoms, including reproductive issues, deformities, stunted growth, and so on.
- Its sea vegetation base is rich in essential minerals and trace elements.
- It was scientifically developed using the latest research on the nutritional needs of amphibians and reptiles.
- It features a well-balanced formulation of all nutrients except to help your pet’s growth, maintain a perfect body and reproductive health.
- To avert the possibilities of vitamin A toxicity, Rep-Cal uses an antioxidant beta carotene which these pets can convert to vitamin A according to the amount they need.
3. Zilla Vitamin Supplement with Beta Carotene
This Zilla food mist supplement is not only a good source of beta carotene (a vitamin A precursor) but also has vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, C, D3, niacin, folic acid. It is an ideal supplement if your feeder insects are not gut loaded.
- Vitamin D3 will help ensure optimum calcium assimilation.
- Easy to use. You need to spray on your pet’s food, whether live, wet, or dry 15 seconds before feeding your reptiles or amphibians.
- It will compliment calcium powder. Go for one without vitamin D3.
4. Exo Terra Multi Vitamin Powder Reptiles/Amphibians Supplement
Reptiles and amphibians need various vitamins and minerals for optimum growth and development, good body and reproductive health, as well as other bodily functions, including energy metabolism. Unfortunately, at times, their diets do lack some of these much-needed nutrients.
Buying and giving them Exo Terra Multivitamins, together with their diets, is one way of ensuring they get all these nutrients as well as many others.
- It contains all the essential amino acids that these animals require
- It has beta-carotene instead of vitamin A to avoid toxicity chances
- Its trace elements, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, are well balanced for maximum nutritional benefits.
- Its ultrafine powder formulation makes it easy to apply. Just dust your pet’s veggies or live insects with it. You can even premix it with calcium and vitamin D3 supplements.
- Value for every buck you spend on it
5. Fluker’s Reptile Vitamin with Beta Carotene
This Fluker’s reptile product has amino acids, vitamins, minerals, trace elements as well as color enhancers that will ensure your pet has and retains its natural color.
Dust your pet’s feeder insects, sprinkle on their veggies or fruits, and in case you have a pinky mouse, dip its rear end in a container with this vitamin before offering it to your pets. One tablespoon per pet weight 2 pounds is enough.
6. ReptiVite without D3
This calcium-based multivitamin with balanced amino acids, minerals, and vitamins ideal for pets that don’t require or using vitamin D3D to assimilate calcium.
- Its formulation helps pets maintain the 2:1 Ca:P ratio necessary for bones that are strong and healthy.
- It has no artificial additives or fillers
- Value for money.
7. Fluker’s Liquid Vitamin
Reptiles and amphibians living in captivity require vitamin and mineral supplements to ensure they stay healthy since their diets may not provide all the necessary nutrients.
This excellent product is a source of the various nutrients that these pets may be missing that may lead to deficiencies.
- It has vitamin A and C that promotes the integrity of cells lining the mucous membrane (gastrointestinal, respiratory and urinary tract) and skin.
- It has high quality essential all-natural vitamins with an are easy dropper for dosing. You can add it to their food or give them directly into their mouth.
- Has vitamin D which will promote calcium absorption
- It has vitamin E with is a powerful antioxidant and several vitamin Bs that will support their body’s immunity.
Other supplements you may consider for your reptiles and amphibians include the following
1. Repashy Calcium Plus 3
This Repashy Superfoods product is an all-in-one formulation that has calcium, vitamins, carotenoids, and trace minerals. For maximum benefits, always lightly coat their live foods.
- High-quality calcium mined at the Mojave Desert.
- Its micro-ground to making it easy to use as it will dust these insects better.
- It’s all in one supplement with no need for a separate vitamin supplement since it has vitamins, including A and E, as well as a safe vitamin D3 level.
- It has healthy ingredients like kelp, algae, marigold, brewer’s yeast, hibiscus, and a fruity scent.
2. Repashy Calcium Plus HYD
This calcium powder with added vitamins, carotenoids, and trace minerals is for pets that need high vitamin D, especially those living under insufficient UVB lighting conditions.
Place your feeder insects in a plastic bag that has this supplement and shake them until they get a light coat.
3. Repashy Calcium Plus LoD
This Repashy supplement is similar to the Repashy Calcium Plus HYD, with the only difference being for pets that require low vitamin D, such as those in moderate UVB light from artificial or sunlight.
4. Repashy Super Pig
The Repashy Super Pig is a carotenoid-based powdered food that will help in enhancing your pet’s pigments.
It contains many carotenoids such as Astaxanthin, Capsorubin, Capsanthin, Alpha Carotene, Beta-Carotene, Zeaxanthin, Beta Cryptoxanthin, Neoaxanthin, Violaxanthin, Cucurbitaxanthin, Lutein, Canthaxanthin, Echinenone, Lycopene, among others.
Finally, it can account to up to 4% on the dry mass basis on your pet’s food, mix it with gut loading formula, or injected it to frozen rodents before feeding them to your pets.